Whether you realize it or not, you have been forming the idea of your dream home since you were a child. Take a moment to think about where you grew up and how that shaped the idea of your dream home today.
I know for me, growing up without a place to call home made me yearn for a space of my own; a place I could feel safe in but also a place I could be proud of and entertain others in.
One day, I plan to buy a property on the water in the DC suburbs that I can renovate with all the features I’ve dreamed of. The area is beautiful and quiet right outside of the hustle and bustle of the city. Neighbors, families and friends end the day in the sunshine floating out on the water on their floating party decks. On holidays like the Fourth of July, they connect their floating decks together and have a big party (band and all) on the water….
I can picture this as if I’m already there because this is my dream.
What’s yours? What’s keeping you from having it?
Typically when I ask someone this question the response is one or all of the following:
- I can’t afford it
- I can’t find it
- I don’t know how to get there
So instead people settle on homes they don’t love because in their head they have already told themselves they “can’t.” Being reasonable and having a plan is different from settling on something that doesn’t fall in line with your life’s vision or doesn’t propel you to the next step.
As a former Realtor and a now long-time professional designer and zen remodeler, I have learned that to get what you want and to create a space that supports your life’s goals, there’s a few simple steps:
- Envision your ideal dream home and write down what it looks like, what it has and why. Creating a vision board is even better!
- What is your ideal “now” home. What do you need it to do for you right now and what does this include on your path to your ultimate dream home?
- Learn how to identify a home with the potential you need to transform it into your dream home
Particularly if you’re looking to buy a fixer-upper home, looking beyond the eyesores, outdated layouts, tiny closets, overgrown plants and pink bathrooms is critical. Just like a good realtor, you can learn to see good bones in a home quickly, however, you need to know what you want so you can visualize what’s possible.
Is this you?
- I am a first-time homebuyer looking to buy a fixer-upper home and make it mine
- I am a homeowner who wants to remodel my current home into something I love
- I am a realtor trying to help my clients see beyond the eyesores of a fixer-upper and identify the potential within their budget
- I just love everything home and I’m interested in learning how to spot the potential transformation without the big price tag of building a designer home from scratch
If you identified as any of the above, then my upcoming FREE webinar is for you!:
How to Find & Renovate Your Dream Home on a Budget
Wednesday, May 24 at 3pm EST
Join me as I share my key tips and practical advice every dream home fixer-upper needs to know to identify and create your dream home on a budget! Space is limited to the first 100 attendees.
Register today to reserve your spot (and don’t worry if you can’t make it live we’ll send the recording to registrants following the webinar)!
What questions do you have about how you can envision, identify and create your dream home? Ask your questions in the comments and I’ll try to address it during the webinar!